Monday, January 20, 2014

Review: The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Title: The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Princess
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Walker Books
Year of Release: 2013
ISBN: 9781406321340
Source: Purchased (The Book Depository, $13.16)
Number of Pages: 565

Summary:
A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.
Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.
As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?
Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

There are no words. I feel like the carpet has been pulled out from under me and I have been left lying on my back staring at the ceiling. This series has made me feel every emotion there is to experience. Love, anger, sadness, grief, happiness, hope... everything. 

I'm not even sure what to say here, except that I understand why these books are bestsellers. I cannot even hope to fathom into words how incredible this book was. It was everything I'd hoped it would be and more. 

Even though I had predicted what would happen to an extent (you just know when two characters are meant to be together), I still felt shocked and amazed and so, so satisfied with the ending, despite the fact that it tore my heart into pieces and walked all over them in high-heeled boots. 

The characters in this series are so well written and their individual developments were so perfect, it was honestly beautiful to read. The central love triangle was as fascinating as it was heart-breaking. So many courtships are tied up by the end of the book, ones I never expected, and it's impossible not to feel happy for the characters. 

The plot was so well executed, the battle scenes extremely well written and everything leading up to them as well. These fight scenes were some of the best I've ever read. 

Cassandra Clare is a beautiful writer, for me, she is right up there with Richelle Mead and John Green. She has a skill not many writers possess and that is that she is able to become her characters, see into their minds and write through their eyes, as they see things, instead of how she sees them. It makes the characters feel so much more real and that is something I respect in an author. 

This is such an amazing series, concluded beautifully and in a way that leaves you feeing satisfied and wanting more at the same time, and I'm still trying to understand how that is possible. I can't recommend these books highly enough and I guarantee that you be disappointed for reading them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment