Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Review: The Secret of Lies by Barbara Forte Abate

“Uncertain how to proceed into my future when my life remained in a holding pattern, waiting for those answers that would finally bring something of closure to the past.”
Summary from Goodreads (with a few modifications)-
Propelled by an insistent sense of desperation, Stevie Burke is restlessly abandoning home, husband and outwardly contented life under the cover of night, at last resigned to defeat in her long battle against the tortured memories of her past.
Days later, lost and floundering, in a dreary motel room with no plan or destination, it is a long ago song playing on the radio that gently tugs Stevie back through the dust of remembrance. 1957- the last summer spent at the ancient house overlooking the North Atlantic.A season which had unfolded with abundant promise but then spiraled horrible out of control- torn apart by a shattering tragedy that remains splintered in fragments upon her soul. And it is only now that Stevie at last lifts her eyes to stare deep into the heart of her long sequestered memories, that the long held secrets of past and future are unveiled.


Beautifully written and captivating, The Secret of Lies was an amazing tale of sacrifice and emotion that held the beauty of suspense and romance to keep you reading until the final page. I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I absolutely adored the characters, with a few exceptions, but I was able to easily relate to most of them. That just made the story all the more enticing.
The plot of the story and the way it was set out was possibly the best thing about the book. It was fresh, original and very addictive! Miss Forte Abate is a writer of extraordinary talent in the way she strings her words together to keep the reader hooked. I found myself shouting at the text at times, just like my dad shouts at the T.V during a football game, because I just wanted to know what would happen! I would find myself yelling things like; "KISS ALREADY!" Can anyone relate? No? Maybe it's just me who shouts at books then.
The main character of the story, Stevie Burke, is a real modern day literary heroine. Her traits which include persistence, determination, individuality, courage and most importantly, a strong sense of self, were very admirable and set a great example for the reader. She had to face a lot of heartache during the course of the plot and she was still able to stand (well, most of the time anyway).
I should point out however, that if you are interested in reading The Secret of Lies, make sure you have a box of tissues handy. I don't think i need to elaborate on their purpose. 
Anyhow, I really do recommend this book as it's suitable for anyone and everyone. The only thing I didn't like about the novel was the ending. I would have preferred a more elaborate finale to what was an amazing story but overall, I really did enjoy The Secret of Lies and I can't wait to see what comes next from the author.


Miss Forte Abate and I will be having an interview soon, so please check in to Book Nerd & Critic to find out a little more about the woman behind the story!

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I agree with you on the box of tissues. ;-)
    It's a great book, I really enjoyed it too! Great review.

    Vicky
    Books, Biscuits & Tea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed Secret of Lies, as well. A beautifully-written book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I reviewed this myself and I have to say it was one of my favorite reads in 2011 :)

    ReplyDelete